Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Blogging

I want to let all the instructors know how important I think blogging is. I have learned more from my students about how they learn and what I may need to reteach but reading their blogs. In fact I think it is so important that all my classes now do blog entries.

Lindsey and Justin are students in Business Computer Applications II and had to blog about harassment. Leah and Patrick are in Web Page Design and had to blog about their personal computer skills. Leah added the extra boy blog on her own--that was definitely not an assignment but look at what she thought and how much she wrote. The last two entries are from Digital Imaging and they had to answer certain questions they were given.

http://lindseylumx3.blogspot.com/
http://jsnyder-justin.blogspot.com/
http://www.leahxknicely.blogspot.com/
http://patricksthoughtsoncomputers.blogspot.com/
http://www.amylee18.blogspot.com/
http://idk-shasta.blogspot.com/

Sometimes I have the students to read and make comments on other students'blogs. I give the students a grade for blogging. Generally the requirement is that they answered the question(s).

I have found that the students are very honest and insightful. I have learned things about my students that I would not have known otherwise. Believe it or not they actually like doing it. They are writing and they actually like it.

If you are not blogging--I strongly encourage you to blog and have your students to blog. Let's see what you can learn.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I agree, and we certainly need to practice ourselves! I know I do.

Mrs. Garrett said...

You are a superior teacher, Denise! I love how you guided their blog to elicit depth of knowledge.