I have just returned from training in Austin, TX and many thoughts are running through my mind. The trip was awesome and the people were so great but it is such a joy to be home. I love to travel and meet new people but there is always this wonderful joy for me when returning to the mountains of West Virginia. This is truly the place I belong.
Thinking about that feeling explains the real reason I am returning to the classroom. It is that I have a connection with this place. I grew up a poor kid in rural Randolph County. I was in 5 or 6 grade when our family added a "real" bathroom to the house. My father died when I was 15 and my mother had never held a full time job. Our family could have qualified for food stamps and none of us kids would let our mom get them. We had too much pride!
As early was 5 or 6 grade I knew I wanted to be a teacher. This is my way of giving another "young West Virginia" encouragement and knowledge "to go out into the world" away from West Virginia. My hope is they will return to build businesses and homes. To gain knowledge to improve our way of life here. No we do not have the tourist attractions of big cities that I have had an opportunity to visit but we have non-man-made wonders. So I want these students to bring back the best of the best so they can continue to work here and live and travel and be happy.During the last 2 years, working for Globaloria, I have learned so much about so many things. Maybe the greatest thing I have gained is the confidence I now have in myself. After living here for so many years I guess I just needed a time to spread my wings to learn more about the rest of the world. I feel refreshed and ready to spread this new knowledge to my students. Going back to the classroom is my choice and not something I feel I have to do. So few teachers get that opportunity and I am SO fortunate to have had it.
So with a sad heart I think about not working full time will all the Globaloria staff because they are so awesome but with excitement I think about I am going to do this and this with my classes. A state of mixed emotions. The one thing I have learned is that it is important to learn from our experiences and I have.
The poor girl from rural Randolph County has been given may opportunities. I just hope that I can give back in equal or greater amounts what has been given to me.
1 comment:
Denise, I have appreciated all your support of my growth in Globaloria. Good luck with your next step. All the best to you!-Liz
Post a Comment