Friday, August 28, 2009

Learning From My Students

Ok I know that we do this--learn from our students--but it because very real for me last night. I ran into one of my former students who added me as a friend on Facebook. We were talking about where previous students were now at and what they were doing.

I did not start Facebook until this July and since then I have had several former students send me friend requests. They let me know what they are doing and where they are at. It is a joy to touch base with them again.

I know that this sounds crazy but seeing my student last night reminded me that I go with them once they leave my classroom. They remember how I teach them and how I treated them.

Another thing that I remembered as we were walking and talking was that I frequently ask questions of former students. One is a recruiter for a college and I ask him questions when present students are interested in attending. One former student has completed art work for me. Another student has been a mentor for some of my students.

So I am still learning from my students. Taking the knowledge that they have gained and hopefully adding it to my present classroom. I hope that as long as I am teaching that I continue to learn from my students both past and present.

Additional note--for the first time I have a deaf student and downloaded an ap on my iPhone to learn basic sign language. Before the semester is over I hope to be able to a least say a few basic things to him in sign language. The learning continues.

2 comments:

Mr. Dorsey said...

Good luck with the sign language Denise. I think it is great that you are taking it as an opportunity for personal growth and I am sure the student in question will appreciate and even be proud of himself for having a positive influence on your life.

-- Bill

Mr. Allder said...

Isn't it awesome to see how we learn with and from our students! I love when I have former students who are able to go off into the world and bring back experiences which help me or my current students. This is how I've been getting instructors for my band for years!!!

On another note, good luck with the sign language. Nice to know "there's an app for that" :)