Thursday, September 4, 2008

Week 2

Week 2 is going well. The students created their own blogs and were to place the link on their page. As a class we discussed the Participation Guidelines and the students did not want to make changes. We will be starting Learning Game Design today and I am sure they will enjoy the opportunity to play games. I have been observing the students and I am still trying to figure out how to group students. I think I am going to have the rate their skills for drawing, coding, managing, music, etc and use that to determine groups but I haven't decided for sure yet. Most of them want to pick their own groups but I really want to have groups who have a diverse set of skills. Any other ideas let me know.

3 comments:

Lee Kraus said...

That is an interesting idea on grouping. Do you think they will be able to rank themselves on "coding' this early in the semester? Let us know how it goes!

Unknown said...

Some of the students have done html coding etc. If they have that concept I think the other coding skills come easier. But sometimes me and thinking are in left field/wiat it that right and left:)

Maitreyi Doshi said...

Since I studied Graphic Design, which is similar to game design, esp. when we look at how a design company works a each job is delegated to a person, e.g. designer (people who design), creative director (person who directs the whole team), production, (a person who is responsible to talk to the vendors e.g. printers) traffic (a person who makes schedules)... etc

In undergrad one of my classes was set up as a design studio where my prof used to make a list of all the jobs and then basically go around and make sure each team had someone who was responsible for that job... in this case you could come up with a list of job descriptions and then a list of students with those interests and match them up perhaps that would work?