Today my students at RTC and Ingrida's students at SRMS started communicating on each others wikis. It was fun to hear them discussing what they should say and discussing each others partners. Ingrida and I were IM as some of the students were reading so it was fun to share. Ingrida said that her students were excited as they came to class and found out that they had friend requests from our school and they were asking her quesitons about responding and following their blogs, etc.
WOW students getting excited about school. Students discussing and caring about what they say. I love what technology allows us to do and I love that there are other teachers like me out there who want students to be exposed to this type of learning.
To let you know how we did this, Ingrida sent me the list of her students and their user names then I assigned a student from my class to them. My students were they to go to SRMS and find their partner on the User Gallery and leave a message on their Talk section. Since then Ingrida and I have decided that the Board under the Social Profile is a much better place to communicate. (Recommended by students who say they don't have to edit that way.) So we will be sharing in that area.
Ok Ok Ok I know simple things make me happy but this was an exciting opportunity to be part of.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Denise
I am also very excited about our collaboration this year! I told my students that they are to keep an eye on your students' pages and keep them challenged by working well on their projects! We also read your message on the main wiki page, and the kids felt really honored to be able to let you know if some of your students were not doing everything they were supposed to! One of my kids already noted that her mentor was not up to speed with stuff, and that you had to send him a message. For now I am just amazed how they find time to check everything out as they are always busy in my classroom with their units :)
Hey Denise this sounds like a good idea. Do you know of any other schools that would like to collaborate with my students?
Post a Comment