Thursday, September 24, 2009

Soap Box

I am on my soap box today and I am venting where ever I can. I submitted a proposal to a national organization to a presentation at a conference in Nashville and was excitied when I was selected. The session was titled "Do the Quicky Wiki" and was about how I just wikis in my classroom. I was going to show participates how to set up a wiki. I got an email yesterday confirming that I was coming and letting me know they were providing a projector, mic, stand but no internet. (Remember it is a national conference) Now I don't know how many training sessions who have been to but here lately I have been to tons. At each one I have been "preached" to about using 21st century skills in my classroom but at a national conference for teachers there is no internet. What is wrong with this picture?

In addition I had to pay to attend the conference but was offered the opportunity to pay for the internet service myself which runs $500-1250 depending on the banwidth. For me to do the presentation I would either I would pay the money or take screen shots of everything and put together into something like PowerPoint.

I kindly withdrew myself from presenting with encouragement from my principal and fellow teachers. I don't know who will read this but if you are in a position to offer teacher training do handson training or at least offer internet services so that 21st century skills can be demonostrated.

I have taught too many years and have went through too many programs where things are expected of teachers but "higher ups" don't practice what they preach. Two years ago I sat through a three day state conference that encouraged and explained why we should use 21st century skills. We were told to use cell phones and iPods but not one single example was given, nor did we touch a computer or have computer presentations. Wait, we did have presentations for three days--we watched PowerPoint presentations.

If someone has money to have a conference rent computers or tell participates to bring laptops. Ask teachers who use 21st century skills to present and show samples. Have as many teachers as possible touching, using, etc. different technology devices in an educational setting. We will use what we learn.

Ok I feel better. Thanks for listening. I am now stepping down from my soap box.

1 comment:

Dionne said...

Denise,

I think you need to stay on the soap box! One of Jeff's students, SarahEllen, wrote a cool blog about 21st century learners and lack of or limited use of technology in the school. Interesting how a high school student gets it, and those who should, often don't! BTW, if you get off the soap box, who will speak for us?

Dionne